Thursday, November 8, 2012

Smashed Potatoes

I made these little gems for dinner last night.  They are FABULOUS, but I love slightly crunchy potatoes, so I knew I would love them.

I made a much smaller amount than the original recipe called for and because I was in a huge hurry, I microwaved the potatoes.  My modified recipe is listed below, you can click on either link at the bottom for the original version.



Small red potatoes (1 1/2 – 2″ diameter) I only cooked 9 of the smallest in the bag
Extra virgin olive oil
Rosemary
Garlic Salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Place one oven rack at the lowest position and one at the top position.
Scrub the red potatoes.

Microwave on high for about 5 - 6 minutes until cooked.


When the potatoes are done, toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil making sure each is coated with oil.  Take a cup and “smash” each potato to about 1/3 – 1/2 in thick {this is the fun part}.



Drizzle another 2 tablespoons olive oil on the potatoes, sprinkle with rosemary, garlic salt and pepper.  Place the potatoes in your 500 degree oven on the top rack and bake  for 15 minutes.  Move potatoes to the lower oven rack and continue to bake for another 25-30 minutes (until nice and brown).  I turned the potatoes over a couple of times, because I wanted both sides to have crispy edges.



Hmmm . . . crispy brown on the outside, moist and tender in the center.  These potatoes are so good!


I originally found this recipe on Pinterest, but they credited America's Test Kitchen.

Another fabulous  recipe found on Pinterest!


The Chop Haus

No comments:

Post a Comment