Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas - Verde

Chicken Enchiladas are one my families favorite dinners.  For years I always used red sauce with beef, but when I started using chicken I wanted a different flavor.  The mild green sauce is perfect!



They are super easy and quick!

Ingredients
Cooked chicken (I keep baggies of cooked chicken in my freezer for easy meals!)
Tortillas
Enchilada sauce - green
Red onion
White cheese (I had mozzarella, Monterrey Jack works great too!)
Jalapenos - optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly spray your baking dish, I have a 10 x 10 dish I use, but I've also used a 9 x 13 for this same meal.  I had about cups of shredded chicken.  Enough to make 4 enchiladas.  There is only 3 of us, so it is the perfect amount.  If you need to make more then 4, you will need additional green sauce!

Chop 1/2 of a medium sized red onion. I put the onion in a dish and microwave them for about 45 seconds, this way they are a little bit soft but not super mushy.  I just don't want crunchy onions in the chicken mixture.


 Using a fork, shred the chicken so their aren't big chunky pieces.  Then add the onions into the mix.  Heat the mixture in the microwave for about 2 minutes.  It's doesn't have to be steaming hot, but you don't want ice cold chicken either.

Pour a little bit of green sauce into the bottom of your baking dish.  Just enough to coat the bottom.

You can use any medium size tortilla.  I've even used the small fajita size, it just means I have to roll more than 4 enchiladas.  My choice for this meal is the Target brand, Market Pantry high fiber tortillas.  Because they have the sauce and the cheese, my hubby and son don't realize I'm sneaking in extra fiber!


Preheat your tortillas in the microwave.  I keep our tortillas in the fridge, so taking the chill off is a must, otherwise they will crack when you try to roll them!

Time to load 'em up!
I split the chicken mixture almost equally between the 4 shells.  One usually has a little less for Mr. Non-Stop.  I add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a large spoonful of green sauce.

Roll them up (I don't even attempt to tuck in the ends) and place in your baking dish.  I try to make sure they are all facing the same direction and that the edge of the tortilla is tucked under and placed on the bottom of the baking dish.  You can see the open side would be to the right.


Top the enchiladas with the remaining green sauce, add shredded cheese and we like jalapenos, so those go on 3 of the enchiladas. I leave them off Mr. Non-Stops.  Also, I put way less cheese on the top of mine, but extra cheese on the other three.  Mine is the one all they way to the left, you can still see some of the green sauce under the cheese, not the case on the other three!

Time to bake.  I normally bake this at least 25 minutes without a lid.  What is nice, if my hubby is running late, I can turn the oven down to keep the food warm.  There is enough liquid to keep it from drying out.
This time the dish was in the oven about 30 minutes.  You can see the cheese started to brown, yummmmmm!

This was mine, before the toppings, you can still see some of the sauce.  We top ours with lettuce and salsa.  My hubby and Mr. Non-Stop use sour cream.


What I really like about this recipe, it isn't super fatty,  I can control the amount of cheese on mine without having to change the entire dish.  I almost always have all the ingredients at home, so I can just throw dinner together.

Enjoy!



The Chop Haus

No comments:

Post a Comment